Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Porto Orientation Walk

    October 16, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    It was a two hour bus journey into Porto, our final destination of the tour. We were dropped off at our hotel and had a little break before heading out to explore the city with Gabriele and the group. We went past the Church of Saint Ildefonso which is across the road from our hotel. We walked down the main shopping strip in Porto, Rua de Santa Catarina, past all the gorgeous stores and iconic cafes such as the Majestic Café to Mercado Bolhāo, where we had the chance to have a quick look around this recently renovated market. The market is large, has been beautifully renovated and was a delight to wander around.

    I was constantly distracted by all the stunning tiles we passed on our walk. We next headed to Porto São Bento, a wonderful train station full of large scenes made from the traditional blue and white tiles. Unfortunately, the metro system in Porto is getting extended and upgraded so many of the city streets are being dug up, which is causing a nightmare for drivers and it is particularly messy around São Bento. We then walked Rua De Mouzinho Da Silveira towards Jardin do Infante Dom Henrique and into Ribera and the waterfront.

    We stopped for a drink at one of the many cafés beside the Douro river before heading across the bottom deck of Pont Luís I to Vila Nova de Gaia, where you get wonderful views back across the river to Porto. We then made our way through the back streets and alleyways back up to the bridge (climbing many stairs), past the Monastery of Serra do Pilar to cross back over the river on the top deck of the bridge and head to our dinner venue, a lovely traditional restaurant that specialises in chicken.
    Read more