Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Cancun

    January 23, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Tony and I arrived to Cancun nice and early in the day. We found the bus downtown easily and had arranged an airbnb before leaving the states so we had a destination. Once we arrived at the bus station downtown, we found the ATM was out of money so we walked towards our place for the next couple of days. The heat always catches me off guard coming from a cold climate so I got grumpy per usual... Tony is ever the positive energy. 😊 He kept us on course and we found an ATM along the way. We made it to our spot which was really nice and met our host. We went to find some grub and enjoyed our first of many tacos.
    We spent the next couple days learning the lesson of not doing too much walking on the heat when you're not used to it (grumpy pants me) and enjoying the luxuries of busses even when they are packed is great. 😝 We spent too much time in the fancy hotel district trying to swim though the waves were quite big (apparently uncharacteristic of Cancun but weather is weather) but we found great food, friendly people and when we broke down to get sunglasses and snorkels from the evil empire aka Walk Mart we were offered another adventure...
    Leo approached us as we were leaving with a proposition. He could tell we weren't the timeshare/luxury sort but if we went and pretended to be he could hook us up with two round trip ferry tickets to Isla Mujeres (where we planned to go anyways ) for 20 dollars which would include transportation and a golf cart rental for the day (all of which would usually cost at least 100 or so). So we decided, why not? We just had to meet him at Wal Mart, he would get us there, we would have free delicious breakfast and listen to the schtick and then be free to go.
    We wondered what we had gotten ourselves into but away we went. Leo was obviously a bit nervous since we had all our stuff with us so we already had to say we were staying on the island. We had to say we were staying at the Royal Cancun and that my mother or friends had a timeshare there and we had to pretend one of our debit cards was a credit card.
    We got to the resort and went through the motions. We then were met with Ingrid: a fantastic, fast talking ray of sunny silliness that showed us around the resort and told us about the fascinating world of the time share residential hybrid being built and that we even considered, especially when she informed us that the first Latin American Disneyland was being built two minutes away!!!
    After too many (complimentary) margaritas the three of us were giggling and chatting about everything from meditation to Swiss heritage. We finally broke away, having made a new friend we felt even richer... We had a cab that took us to the ferry, round trip tickets in hand and 600 pesos cash for the golf cart which we never rented. 😝

    On to Isla Mujeres! 😉
    Read more