Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    The Hibiscus Coast

    November 8, 2013 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    Paihia, Northland, New Zealand
    Friday, November 8, 2013

    Friday 8th November

    It has certainly been all go today and I'm pleased to report the weather has bucked up, which is a bonus. We left for the Bay of Islands from Auckland this am, having finally worked out the Sat Nav and made our way out of the city, which by our standards hardly seems a city. The rush hour this morning was more on a par with KL on a Friday and the pace of life is noticeably slower.
    We travelled north up Highway 1 which will ultimately take you to the very northernmost tip of the North Island if you are so inclined. We stopped for a cup of coffee at a delightful art gallery at Orewa on the Hibiscus Coast. So pretty, as you will see from the posted photo of the centre and it's flowering tree. I asked the lady in charge for its name - she had no idea, but did know King's Lynn well having worked in the area when living in the UK some 10 yrs ago. Small world or what? I tell you, no doubt which is the more picturesque spot. The coastal photo was taken just out of Orewa. The sun continued to shine and we stopped at Puhoi for a beer at a really quirky pub. In fact the whole village was wildly Bohemian. It was like steeping back 100 yrs. The first little cafe we came across had the Devon Cream tea sign outside and I only just managed to stop Reg from dashing in and remonstrating with the owner, as Geraldine's cream teas are a legend and not to be outshone by Puhoi. (Don't panic girls, only joking, we took a photo instead as you see!).
    I was most taken with the sign over the public bar of the pub re the standards, as you will see from the photos and it seemed to set the scene. The barman was lugubrious to say the least. On being asked for a Shandy for me, the response was a grunt followed by 'Bugger, we're turning into a cocktail bar!' As you can imagine this caused great hilarity from the assembled clientele, which mainly consisted of a group of extremely large guys on what they euphemistically termed 'A Tour Of Learning' and they wore the T-shirts to prove it. Great crowd (heading up to Cape Reina) who insisted on having their photo taken for the blog, so here they are.
    Moving on, we stopped at Warkworth, Sandspit and Matakana - thank you M&M ! All very interesting, but Sandspit is particularly gorgeous, what a setting. I have included a photo, but to be honest it doesn't do it justice. The sea was turquoise and so clear. Matakana provided our first (& no doubt not the last) NZ ice cream. You know PL can't pass an ice cream parlour.
    Good, but not up to Langage or Salcombe Dairy. However, we'll keep sampling earnestly. We could have visited lots of wineries en route had we had the time, but will have to reserve the pleasure for another day as time was getting on, we had stopped so many times.
    We finally crested the brow of the hill to have the Bay of Islands laid out before us at about 6pm and it was just breathtaking. Scenically, the journey had been beautiful all the way, but this vista was simply stunning as we made our way along the coast to our apartment for the next 2 nights. We had the joy of walking along the shore to find a seafood meal and the day ended with a beer before heading back to report in to you all.
    I have heard so much about New Zealand's scenery and I was expecting it to be special and it is obviously going to be just that and more. I think everything is heightened by the fact that it is late spring early summer and greenery is lush and verdant and the flowers both wild and planted are coming to their best. Blossom abounds and colour is vibrant and exciting. At Matakana we came across an exquisitely planted bed of Icelandic poppies and cyclamen which really took my eye. The natural bush everywhere is awash with majestic tree ferns of all sizes growing in mixed woodland of outstanding beauty. And this is only day one. What treasures there must be in store. I'll keep you posted.
    Read more