Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    The Green Green Grass of Home

    February 8, 2014 in England ⋅ 🌬 8 °C

    Norfolk, United Kingdom
    Saturday, February 8, 2014

    Two weeks have passed since we arrived back and Greenhurst welcomed us home. Our last day in Hong Kong did not quite go to plan, as I pulled my back re packing a suitcase and ended up flat on my back for the day, resting and icing it alternately! Oh well, I guess I should be glad it happened right at the end rather than in the middle of a moving phase of the trip. A very efficient Chinese doctor, by the name of Dr Sunny Lau called and prescribed the ice etc and some heavy painkillers, which did get me home. As a consequence, I couldn't manage the trip to Sha Tin and have to rely on Peter's fulsome description. " it was really interesting". So there you have it, colourful in the extreme and for a fuller picture you'll have use your imaginations and look at the photos!!
    It was a very good view of the waterfront from the hotel bedroom window, that much I can tell you.
    The previous evening Peter and I had gone down to the hotel bar for a drink late on. One of the walls was completely glass, overlooking a very busy street. We perched on our bar stools watching Hong Kong going about it's business. It was a Saturday evening so business was heavy. The cars were either Mercedes, BMWs, Porches or taxis! Not a lot of variety, but plenty of wealth on display. On the other side of the road was a highly decorated Chinese building, which at first we took to be a restaurant, from the myriad of people in and out, of all ages, style and gender. Cars were double and triple parked or simply abandoned. Eventually, their owners would appear, either clutching a slip of paper or laden with carrier bags full of parcels to pack into the cars, with the assistance of smartly turned out staff. We were intrigued. As time went on we realised this could not be a restaurant, with an extensive take out menu! Occasionally, we caught glimpses of the interior as the doors flew open and we could see folk sitting around tables and gradually gained the impression that they were not eating. Finally, curiosity killed the cat, so to speak. I asked the barman what was going on. He beamed and said simply, "It is a Mah Jong house" and everything instantly fell into place. Of course it was and we were doubly intrigued. What wouldn't we have given to be a fly on the wall in there. I tell you what, there were a lot of taxi drivers who had told the little woman they were working tonight and were doing nothing of the kind!! I hope she was sharp enough to have grabbed the housekeeping before he disappeared for his shift, otherwise Sunday lunch could be scanty!
    The journey back to Heathrow was comfortable and uneventful, I'm relieved to say and we landed just before 3pm to a cold, wet, grey London. Oh it was good to be back - not! However, we had one little ray of sunshine (well, two really). Who should come toddling towards us in the arrivals hall with a big beam? Yes, you've guessed it - our beloved Grandson Rafe. A sight for sore eyes after 3 months, oh, and his mother looked pretty good also! It was a lovely surprise, as we had no idea Emily had such a treat up her sleeve.

    So, here we are, back to the green green grass of home and contemplating the last three months. What have we learned ? Well, we can survive one another's undiluted company for 3 months and have returned still speaking, which is a plus. We love travelling, which is probably no surprise, as we have covered a great deal of the US in a similar fashion. We are definitely spoiled for flying coach any time soon. (Help!) However, possibly the most instructive point to come out of this trip in an oblique way, is the value of being able to step outside of your life for a period of time. It makes you think, evaluate what you have and consider the future. I'm aware you could attempt the same in a beach hut at Old Hunstanton, whilst carefully wrapped in thermals, but it would be without the mind stretching vistas and personally I need warmth to think effectively. (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).
    Read more