Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 4: The Lake District

    August 12, 2017 in England ⋅ ☀️ 59 °F

    Today we toured several places in the Lake District. Our first was an Arts and Crafts House in Blackwell. The Arts and Crafts Movement was a reaction to the excesses of Victorian industrialisation. It grew from a desire to revive traditional craftsmanship and restore simplicity and honesty to how buildings and furnishings were made. The house was very interesting. After the tour of the house we had lunch in a café on the property and then headed to Bowness-on-Windermere. When we left the house it was raining, but when we got to Bowness-on-Windermere, it had stopped.

    John and I had no interest browsing the shops in the town, so we took a boat ride around the islands of Lake Windermere. When we returned to the hotel we decided to walk the trail near the hotel. Finding the trail turned out not to be a trivial task, but we finally found it. We walked about 4 miles on the trail and back to the hotel. I took & used a cane just for safety, but my knee did fine.

    Our group had dinner at a nearby pub. The food was good. It is fun getting to know the members of the group.
    Read more