Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Tour of Mykonos and Delos

    September 8, 2021, Aegean Sea ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    Today we went to the island of Mykonos. It was windy and the sea was very rough. We left the ship at 8:35am and took the tender to Mykonos. We took a short tour of Mykonos and then headed back to the dock and took a large "sea taxi" to Delos. We were able to see lots of homes and learned a lot about how the houses were constructed. There is a major effort going on to recover the remains of the major Temple that was destroyed in an earthquake. The major issue inhibiting progress is funding. It was interesting, but it looks like a lot of work and a lot of funding will be required.

    After touring Delos, we headed back to the sea taxi and returned to Mykonos. We searched for a place to eat. We finally found a Souvlaki/gyro fast food shop and got lunch there. Then we had to find our way back to the tender landing. We made sure we continued to go down and followed the streets where the wind was blowing the strongest. We only had to wait about 15 minutes for our tender.

    Tonight we went to the steak and seafood restaurant called Candles. You have to make reservations for the restaurant since it only seats 30 guests a night. The food was wonderful. John got a filet mignon and I got a grilled shrimp dish. For dessert we both got creme brulee. We made reservations there for Friday, our last night on the ship.

    Tomorrow we have our appointment for the COVID-19 test required to get back into the US and also to get on the Air Canada flight. For that flight we have to fill out several forms.

    Tomorrow we will tour Monemvasia. I have never heard of it, but am looking forward to learning about the town.

    Now it is off to bed.
    Read more