Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Lima

    October 14, 2022 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    We spent 3 days in Lima to rest up, run some errands and see a few sights.

    We visited Parque Kennedy, known for its food stalls selling traditional Peruvian snacks and had some 'Picarones' - Peruvian donuts covered in a type of syrup. There was an artesan festival happening as well and we got our first look and some great alpaca and baby alpaca products - hats, sweaters, blankets and the like. It's incredibly soft to the touch but very expensive! We are going to try our luck in Cusco or Arequipa to get the real deal.

    Our main point of visiting Lima was to dine at Maido - rated #7 restaurant in the world in 2022 and has received honors as the best restaurant in South America multiple times in the past.

    It's Peruvian-Japanese fusion - Peruvian ingredients prepared with Japanese techniques. We were served an 11-course, 15-plate 'Nikkei Experience.' Primarily seafood based, every single bite was an absolute journey. From cod on seaweed Crackers, tuna sashimi, blue fin tuna nigiri, all served with sauces, dips, oils of traditional ingredients and origin, it was absolute an experience to remember and the best dinner we've ever had.

    We visited their famous Magic Water Circuit as well, a series of huge fountains in the main city park. It's lovely during the day, and at night the fountains light up with an array of different colors and patterns. It's a refuge from the huge city that is Lima and definitely worth a visit if you're ever in the area.

    We had a spa day to help relieve some of the tenderness from having been travelling for over a month at this point and got ready for the next part of journey.

    Iquitos and the Amazon next!
    Read more