Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 124

    Lindblad Cove

    January 7, 2023, South Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ❄️ -1 °C

    63.51° S 59.25°W

    "Good morning everyone, good morning, and welcome to Antarctica!"

    The words that we woke up to on our first day officially at the seventh continent.

    We sprang out of bed with shivers going down our spines and rushed up to the deck to get our first glimpse. We were greeted with an exceptionally moody, and if I must say, fitting day. Cold with low hanging clouds, very calm water, and overflowing emotion.

    We stood on deck simultaneously crying and laughing, surrounded by sea ice, icebergs, and an indescribable calm.

    We were told the conditions would allow us to get out in the Zodiacs, and we quickly hurried to get ready for our first foray into Antarctica.

    We cruised around one giant iceberg, with the lighting conditions really accentuating the blue tones in the ice. We were greeted by a dwarf Minke whale who spent a few minutes swimming around our tiny boat, no doubt curious about his new visitors. Little did we know it was just a taste of things to come.

    Something you can't capture in photographs is the emotion. There's a feeling that comes along with being here, our first taste of which we received this morning. It's a mix of excitement, adventure, peace, and a growing respect for the beauty, power, and importance of nature.

    Our expedition team worked very hard to plan our time in Antarctica, chasing weather conditions suitable to getting off the ship, planning our excursions to maximize our time down here.

    With that, we enjoyed our Zodiac cruise and headed off to our second site of the day, ravenously curious to find out what lay ahead.
    Read more