Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Hermanus

    August 10, 2012 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    Ughh another early start. Thankfully, our 5.30AM Breakfast was to be the last early morning for us for the duration of our holiday. Clear skies and sunshine greeted us as we boarded the truck bound for Hermanus. After a fuel stop and brief random osterich encounter, we arrived at our accomodation, Baleens Guest House, around noon. Whilst awaiting lunch, we took a stroll down to the lagoon.

    With our optional whale watching boat tour not available (booked out..) we took the truck into the city centre of Hermanus. Hermanus is renowned for its shore-based whale watching, in fact it's supposedly the number one place in the world to be able to see whales without boarding a boat. So with clear blues skies (and bit of wind), the right season, and the reputation, a few hours of not a fish to be seen, had me extremely dissappointed. In time however, relief.. Whales spotted!

    A few hundred metres from shore, Two Southern Right Wales, heading towards us, accompanied by dozens of friendly dolphines, jumping up, breaching the waves alongside them. Awesome viewing!! Rather than catch the truck back home, Nat and I alone, decided to take a coastal walking track back. What our guide advised was probably about 4 or 5k, turned out to be about 12kilometres. It was a pretty walk though, and we managed to clear it in just under 2 hours, making it back for dinner just in time!

    Dinner was out again tonight, in the city centre at a place called Lemon-Butta. Another awesome meal, probably the best of the tour; DimSum, Baby Kinglipper (Massive for a baby, a popular deep-sea fish) & Belgian Chocolate Cups for dessert. Our wine was also particularly great, a white with red pepper flavors. Also very affordable, half the price we'd have paid for it back in Australia. We enjoyed some Olympic viewing at the lodge, before going to sleep around 10.30pm.
    Read more