Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Stellenbosch

    August 11, 2012 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    What better way to spend our last full day in Africa than on a wine tasting tour around Stellenbosch, Franschoek and Paarl? Pick up was again at 9am with the African Fish Eagle Tour Group. Stellenbosch was our first destination, blue skies and sunshine greeting us and arrival, that would remain through out for a beautiful day. Our first Estate was Zevenwacht, where we enjoyed a Cellar Door tour, four wines, and five delicious cheeses. Second, also at Stellenbosch was the Saxonberg Estate, for four more tastings. The wines here were quite delicious! We again enjoyed some free time to wander the city centre of Stellenbosch, walking around the streets, even prettier with the white buildings in the bright afternoon sun. We returned to Diamond Works, and rather than talk about Nat's ring again, picked up some fresh Tanzanite Jewellery in earring form!

    Next up, was a drive to the nearby wine region known as Franschoek, the Rickety Bridge Estate, for lunch and tasting in a pictureseque setting. Lunch was Pork Belly for me, a tasty one at that! After some photos, we headed towards Paarl via the Hugenot Memorial, a testiment to free religion, an influence brought about by the Hugenot family.

    We stopped by at Nelson Mandelas former prison, the Victor Vester Prison (in lieu of our inability to get to Robben Island earlier in the week.. lol), before arriving at our final destination for the day, the Laborie Estate in Paarl. Four more wines for tasting here, along with a brandy, which was not my thing. The desert wine here, a chilled Port, was arguably the pick of the tour. From here, 6 bottles of wine heavier in our luggage, we headed back towards Cape Town.

    Dinner for our final night was enjoyed again at Posticino. Pizza and pasta bake as something different, and equally as delicious, packed out for a Friday night. Sadly, we returned to the Hyde, for our final sleep before facing the prospect of returning home to Australia.
    Read more