Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    To the Japanese Alps

    October 24, 2017 in Japan ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Today was largely a travel day, but the first real adventure outside of Tokyo. After breakfast, a morning stroll around Ueno (to get cash out at the post office), and receiving our 14 day J-Rail Pass, we were packed and ready to board the first of 3 trains to get us to our next destination in Takayama. Today the final two members joined our group; Mark and Aleta, an elderly couple from Melbourne.

    Our route was as follows -
    - J Line Metro to Tokyo station (regular metro train) for 20minutes.
    - Bullet Train (upto 300km/p/hr) to Nagoya for 1 hour 40 minutes
    - Express Train to Takayama for 2 hours 20 minutes.

    The journey itself was comfortable and tremendously scenic. From the sprawling metropolis of Tokyo, to smaller towns, to lush green forests and mountainscapes. The peaks and turquoise rivers and streams were stunning. One of those "you had to be there" experiences that blurry train window photos dont do justice.

    Upon arrival we were transported by minibus to our traditional Japanese Ryokan accomodation at Iwataya. This included; shoes off at the door, tatami floors, sliding room doors, futon beds, yukata robes and communal onsen bathing. Usually I know people for more than 48 hours before we get naked together but the occasion demanded an exception. I was in there a lot longer than expected, the bathing pool was a perfect temperature.

    This evenings dinner was in the town at Tenaga Ashinaga. Nat and I ordered a beef and stirfry dish with carrot and beanshoots. Seaweed on the side and misu soup. I also got to try a local craft beer for an all round enjoyable evening.

    Sunset here is around 5pm, so not much in the way of photogenic opportunities for the scenic beauty we saw. Hopefully, with luck our full day in Takayama tomorrow will be different.
    Read more