Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Arrival in Kyoto

    October 30, 2017 in Japan ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    Kyoto is regarded by many as Japan's most beautiful city. It's where we'd spend the next three nights, just a short journey from Hiroshima. It took us just two bullet trains (or Shinkasen) to get there, one around 90 minutes to shin-Osaka and then after a quick change, just another 10 minutes to Kyoto proper.

    It didnt take long to be impressed by Kyoto. I'd be fairly comfortable in suggesting that the train station itself was the most awe-inspiring and inpressive train station (for architecture) I've seen anywhere in the world without a doubt. Photos dont really seem to do it justice. It was a towering open steel windowed structure 12 stories and 12 escalators tall with a sky garden terrace. The station cost 1.25 billion to construct back in 1995.. Wow. Lunch was near the top, a Ramen based foodcourt. Ramen has fast become a favorite.

    We spent the rest of the afternoon at Fushimi Inari Taisha, famed for its "thousand torii gates", amidst shrines and temples up to the summit of Mount Inari. We explored the area for a few hours, and a stroll turned to a walk to the highest viewpoint, to a hike to the summit. It was a peaceful, picturesque and tranquill place shrouded in thick forest with many nice views of the forest. Apparently wild boars live there but we didnt see any.

    We've just returned from dinner at a chicken barbeque restaurant. I tried some Asahi black and our guides favourite local beer called Yebisu. Both pretty good. My proudest discovery however was "Citris infused Plum Wine" on the rocks. Delicious. Tomorrow we have a full day exploring Kyoto before a special off tour expedition on Wednesday.
    Read more