Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Random Roadtrip and Reptiles

    August 5, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    After such a big Friday at Fraser Island, today was a specifically designated rest day. No rush, no agenda, no expectations.
    We noted a couple of bird parks in the area, neither with particularly compelling or convincing reviews. Nonetheless, we decided to jump in the car and head through Hervey Bay itself, westward, around lunch time.
    By the time we'd reached Childers, the kids were snoozing. I parked and jumped out for some info and to grab a couple pies for lunch.
    Queensland time is a different agenda to back in Vic, people are up earlier, and everything closes earlier. I was lucky to grab pies by 12.55 with most lunch options closing up at 1!
    Whilst we'd considered visiting the Fly High Bird park in the area, we flipped and decided to give the "Snakes Downunder Reptile Park and Zoo" a spin which closed at 3pm. Arriving just after 1, we just caught the 'reptile encounter' show which involved us getting to hold and pat both a baby alligator and snake.
    This place had a really impressive range of lizards, turtles, reptiles and snakes, many I hadn't seen before and even a Komodo Dragon.
    The kids also enjoyed petting and getting up close with red kangaroos, wallabies, emus and koalas.
    The rest of the day was casually spent, I watched most of the Hawks Collingwood game, we swam, and enjoyed another home cooked meal in the hotel.
    Read more