Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    A Whale of a Time

    August 6, 2023, Coral Sea ⋅ 🌬 21 °C

    Our last full day in the area, we'd spent the majority our at sea whale watching. As expected, it proved to be the most challenging of our planned activities with the kiddos.
    They started the day at 7am in fantastic form, full of energy and excitement, for a 15 minute walk from the hotel to our whale watching vessel. Axel entertained, running laps while we waited 'look at me, I'm a whale I'm a whale!'
    The kids were excited to be aboard and both picked up a 'Whale Warrior' showbag with pencils, a hat, some colouring in and bits and pieces.
    It probably took half hour or so from the pier to our first whale sightings. We started with a few fins, a few tail breaches, a few fin slaps. Initially the kids were interested,- 'whoah whale there, that one hugeeeee'. It didn't last though, has we sailed from whale sighting to another, they grew bored, weary, annoyed by the wind.
    Whilst the sightings were fairly good all afternoon, it was the final group of whales 'mugging' us (showing an interest in our boat) that was by far the most rewarding and memorable. A group of three circled the boat, interacting with us, swimming under and around, peeking their heads above and playing. Getting within metres of these friendly, playful, gentle giants was amazing especially when you could fully appreciate their size.
    For our last night in the area, we headed out on foot to the Hervey Bay Boat Club for dinner. A good feed!
    Tomorrow, we say good bye to the area for a 2.5 hour morning drive to Australia Zoo en route to Brisbane.
    Read more