Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Dream World

    August 9, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Queensland and its theme parks. Fond childhood memories for many of us 30 or 40 somethings.
    Things have changed over the last 20 or 30 years. Have I just aged? Died inside? Or is Queensland not quite the international premium holiday destination it once was.
    As much as we have and still did enjoy ourselves, the same theme of time taking the gloss or polish off the Queensland Coast is plain. It's all a little of a shadow of its former glory, a little tired, a little run down, a little lacklustre. This theme is especially known and accepted among the theme parks.
    Last year we got the kids through both Sea World and Movie World. Whilst the former was more than tired (and more like something out of the apocalypse), there were still faint sounds of a heartbeat and ICU treatment at Movie World.
    After the recent deaths/ ride tragedies at Dream World I was under the impression it was probably now the front runner of the theme parks, and whilst this may be true, it's a close run affair..
    Around half the rides were closed, haunted, or under maintenance. Access around the park was a little limited as well with many blocked paths. There were still plenty for the kids and they probably got on 5-6 rides they loved including the 'old time cars' (on a track) I went on at their age, some little planes, a ball-shooting area, little maze, tea cups and rocky boat.
    I got on (my legs fit for once!) the two fastest thrill coasters - the Steel Taipan and Gold Coaster and Nat got on a 4D experience ride with Ryland.
    The animals here were pretty good, (despite no advertised show times) we caught the Tiger show and saw dingoes, koalas, reptiles, crocs, cassowaries and bilbies. Axel particularly loved the Tigers.
    For our last holiday dinner, we headed out to the Pancake Manor nearby the hotel. Great location (old church), terrible food. You can't win em all!
    We spent the evening half packing.
    Overall, we couldn't be much happier with how things went. The kids have been exceptionally well behaved all things considered, and have a bunch of experience and memories to take home with them.
    Read more