Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 8 - The end of this chapter

    November 8, 2022 on the Maldives ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Day 8 and we depart the Maldives today.

    After breakfast, we headed to the pool area for our final morning of sunshine. However, with lots of clouds, there wasn’t as much as we have had in previous days. Kat went for a long walk while I read in the pool. We both had a last dip in the sea before the black clouds unleashed the rain. We sat in the deck watching the rain, while staying dry under the sun umbrella. The island is obviously sad to see us go! Like most showers we have experienced here, it did not last long. This is however, monsoon season. We have been fortunate that it generally rains at night, with stunning sunshine all day.

    Check out was 2pm so we headed back to the room early, for showers and last minute packing. Before we left, Farid came to say goodbye (and obviously clean after we left). He was amazing to us and we both gave him a big hug.

    We settled our account and we’re happy to see a 50% reduction of our lunch bill, that we had complained about. This went a long way to making us feel a bit better about the whole situation.

    We sat by the ocean for a while as we waited for our speedboat transfer. It was beautiful but sad. As much as I have loved it and as long as the week seemed, I wasn’t actually ready to leave this beautiful island. The transfer was 45 mins late and I did worry we would not get back to Male in time for our evening departure, as we still had a domestic flight to catch too.

    Male airport was a bit of a nightmare. Security to enter, slowest check-in line I have ever been in (no word of a lie), passport control and then security again. Took over 2 1/4 hrs for all this. When we got to the gate, the flight started boarding 5 mins later. Oh - and no wifi except in arrivals and a spot for about 2mins near passport control. Got out in time and headed to Paris!
    Read more