Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Stuck on an island! (like "Lost"!)

    April 17, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Actually its nothing like the tv show Lost..but we are stuck!

    With no improvement to Travs ears, we have postponed all our flights, including the one back to Vancouver till further notice. The last 2 days have been somewhat challenging, with endless rain, the daily search for accomodation and having to return the car yesterday morning after getting stung $130usd for the extra day. We ended up staying at an airbnb near Hilo town, only to arrive at a room which was not as described at all and an old lady who refused to let us put our food in the fridge because she's a vegetarian and then acting like we were evil for eating meat. It was mainly having to throw the food out that made me sad!

    Determined not to let this get us down we decided we needed to get out of Hilo (and the bnb, at a hostel now!). We jumped on the local bus up to Hanakaa, a cute little historic town 1 hour away. The main attraction is Waipo valley, but that was 7 miles away from the bus stop so we settled for wandering around Hanakaa. We must have clearly been wandering very aimlessly because a random guy came up to us and suggested "you should hitchhike to waipo, its easy". Hmm.. ok.. what have we got to lose?

    2 minutes of nervously sticking our thumb out later, a lady going the other way winds down her window.. "r u guys ok?" "Oh.. We're just trying to get to waipo valley.." "Oh, ill take you!". And then she turns her car around, picks us up and drives us the opposite direction to where she was heading! We were so blown away!

    Thankyou sooo much Vivien for brightening our day with your love and kindness, it was definitely the best thing that had happened to us in days and lifted us up in gloomy times :-)

    And Travs ears are feeling a bit better! Must be an omen :-) Fingers crossed for tomorrow!
    Read more