Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Torres Del Paine - Day 1

    April 25, 2015 in Chile ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    And we're off!
    Up in the dark of the night (its doesn't get light till 830am) for the morning bus we only just get to the station in time. A 2 hour journey later the sun is up and we arrive at the park.. and it is beautiful! Open fields and mountains everywhere.. We are really in Patagonia now!
    A quick hike up to a nearby waterfall and it is stunning.. the brightest aqua blue water I have ever seen! Also animal sighting for the day, a little armadillo digging a hole :-)
    We hop on a ferry to the west side of the park and it begins. First stop is camp grey, an 11km, 4.5 hour hike away. Getting used to the weight of the backpacks its a hard slog but the nice scenery helps. About an hour from the end we hike up a hill and OMG- up over the horizon is a huge glaciar! Wow. We get to the camp site and hike out to the glaciar viewpoint just in time for sunset.. not a bad way to end the day :-)
    We settle into camp and cook our first meal of tuna pasta with cheese- was pretty good! Our newfound friends Jared, Michelle and Jess provide entertainment for the evening after having left all their cutlery and cooking utensils behind and trying to navigate through the camp with an I phone light as they didn't have headlamps :-)
    Read more