Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 104

    Swamp Tour

    July 3, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    With a recommendation from a friend, Dhilleep convinced that we had to do the 'swamp tour' in the Bayou river. With low expectations we jumped on a bus and headed on a 1 hour trip outside of town. We arrived and the info centre and were amazed to see a Albino alligator! These white chocolate looking reptiles are only ever raised in captivity due to inability to camoflague from predators, poor eyesight and the fact they get sunburnt haha

    It's time to board the pontoon boat and we meet our redneck captain Louis who has spent his whole life living here and hanging out with alligators. We slowly cruise down the river and onto to offshoots to track them down. We come to a little bay and Louis throws marshmallows all around the boat whilst making his gator call 'errrrrr yup yup yup'. Instantly a few gators start approaching the boat. The marshmallows are the perfect snack to attract the gators due to the vibrations they make when the hit and float of the surface of the water and the white colour.

    Further down the river we bank against a small island and Loius does his famous gator call and jumps off the boat (armed only with a knife) into the island and to our surprise hand feeds the gators raw sausages.

    It's time to head back and along the way Louis pulls out two tiny baby gators that were in a bucket in the back of the boat and hands then round for everyone to hold - best pet ever!

    Back on the bus and it's time to head back to the city. What an awesome afternoon and brilliant tour!
    Read more