Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 117

    Cloud swirls(Lenticular)on the way down

    January 24, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    The views away from the Fritz Roy were equally beautiful. On the way down, we saw some interesting swirls of clouds. Later we found it is quite a common phenomenon in this area. These are know as Lenticular clouds, often mistaken for UFOs.

    As air travels along the surface of the Earth, obstructions are often encountered. In this case, the Andes suddenly rising from the flat steppes. These disrupt the flow of air into "eddies", or areas of turbulence influenced by these obstructions.

    When moist, stable air flows over a larger eddies, typically caused by mountains, a series of large-scale standing waves form on the leeward side of the mountain. If the temperature at the crest of the wave drops below the local dew point, moisture in the air may condense to form lenticular clouds. Under certain conditions, long strings of lenticular clouds can form near the crest of each successive wave, creating a formation known as a "wave cloud." These wave systems can produce large updrafts, occasionally enough for water vapour to condense and produce precipitation.

    This time, after the steep descent from the Lago de Los Tres, we took the route directly towards El Chalten. After a while we crossed the crystal clear waters of the stream Chorillo del Salto. After a few hundred meters, we took the deviation towards Laguna Capri and continued through thick bushes covering the plain in this area.
    Read more