Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 145

    Plaza de Bolivar, Bogota

    February 21, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    The next main showcase of the free tour was the beautiful tile-work painting of the Lisbon harbor outside the office of Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The building had been Palacio de San Carlos when under the Spanish rule and had been a constant reminder of the Spanish dominance over the locals for many a century, so when the Spanish were thrown out of the country, Portugal didn't waste time to stick a thumb at Spain. They presented this painting to Colombia who got it engraved in the walls outside the Palacio de San Carlos.
    The palace was also the scene of an assassination attempt on Simon Bolivar in 1828. He was attacked when a group of conspirators attempted to assassinate him while he was taking a bath and he escaped through the window with soap still covering his body. His mistress, Manuela, who tipped him off and saved him came to be known among Bogotans as "the liberator of the liberator". The event became known as the Noche Septembrina (September's Night) and is referenced in Latin in a plaque conspicuously fixed on the wall next to the window through which he escaped.
    From here we walked 15 mts to the Plaza de Bolivar. The Bolivar Square is the main square of the Colombian capital Bogota. During the Spanish colonial period, Bolivar Square was the stage for circus acts, public markets and bullfights. The square is surrounded by historical buildings; the Palace of Justice is located on the northern edge and the National Capitol borders the square in the south. The Primary Cathedral of Bogota and the Lievano Palace, seat of the mayor of Bogota, are situated on the eastern and western side respectively.
    Read more