Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Strathpeffer

    September 6, 2016 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Lunch break in a small cosy town, just out of the English novels

    Strathpeffer is a leafy Victorian spa town surrounded by wooded hills, 4 miles west of Dingwall on the Black Isle.
    Situated within striking distance of the bleak Ben Wyvis, the town is a popular base for walkers. There are superb views from the Iron Age hill fort of Knock Farril, of the Cromarty Firth and of the surrounding mountains. Another good walk is through Ord Wood to picturesque Loch Kinellan, where a small island bears the ruin of a fort.

    During its heyday, Strathpeffer was a renowned European health resort. A recent facelift is redeveloping the grand pavilion as a performing arts centre and has recently restored the Pump Room where visitors drank water from wells to treat all manner of ailments. Visitors can still do this either here or at the small pavilion in the main square.

    The Highland Museum of Childhood, located at the restored Victorian train station, looks at growing up in the Highlands and is a great way to explore the local history and traditions.

    Source: https://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villag…
    Read more