Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Over the sea to Skye

    August 28, 2018 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 52 °F

    We enjoyed a wonderful 41st anniversary dinner Monday night at Two Fat Ladies in Glasgow. Up early Tuesday morning, we began our journey by train, ferry and automobile to the Isle of Skye. The West Highland train line is said to be one of the most scenic train journeys in the world, and it was beautiful, even in the rain. We passed along several lochs, quaint villages, and traveled briefly alongside the West Highland walking trail (100 miles). We felt sorry for the sodden backpackers. A highlight was passing over the Glenfinnan Viaduct, made famous in the Harry Potter movies. When we reached Mallaig, the "Harry Potter train" steam engine was parked on the tracks alongside, ready to make her return to Fort William.

    The ferry took us over the sea to Skye, where we were met by the gentleman from the motor booking agency with our little manual transmission diesel Ford Focus, with the steering wheel on the right. Dennis did great driving on the left. Myj helped by clutching the armrest, leaning side to side and gasping - and we weren't even on the single track roads yet!

    It was a very rainy drive, but the weather began to clear by the time we reached our adorable B&B in the colorful town of Portree. Our hosts, Charlotte and Bill welcomed us at the door and we felt like friends immediately.
    Read more