Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Continuing around the Trotternish

    August 29, 2018 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 52 °F

    We continued our journey around the Trotternish Peninsula to the otherworldly Quiraing. This was our first experience on the two-way single-track roads. Not only is the road steep, with several very tight turns, but it is a popular destination, so there were frequent stops at the barely-wide-enough passing places. More breath-holding and clutching by Myj assured that we made it up to the top. The view is spectacular!

    After our hike, just missing a rain shower, we drove along the coast toward Uig for a lunch stop at the Uig Hotel. Along the way, Myj convinced Dennis to stop at a little cottage in the middle of almost nowhere with a sign for Trotternish Art Studio. This was the home and studio of sepia ink and pencil artist Bill Lawrence. Visiting with him was well worth the stop, and Myj bought a sketch as well. There is actually a thriving arts and crafts community on Skye. You can see why, as the scenery is inspiring and once the tourists leave in Fall, it would be very serene.

    We returned to Portree in time to investigate the shops. Dennis was lagging behind, so Myj had to run back to hurry him along when she discovered the Skye Youth Pipe Band performing in the town square. Ranging from maybe seven years to teens, it was fun to watch their concentration. They played very well also.

    To end the day, we enjoyed an excellent dinner at renowned Scorrybreac. We had made reservations months ago (thanks to Open Table), and we were glad we did. It was excellent, and thankfully just next door to our B&B. Scotland is definitely a place for foodies. In addition to traditional foods, there is an abundance of fresh local seafood. The Scottish beef is also very good, and lamb, when it is on the menu. Myj was surprised that lamb is not offered more, since there are definitely a lot of sheep. Our guide said it is actually expensive, however, so maybe that is why.
    Read more