Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    OMG! Part 2: We're going to die!

    June 6, 2019 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    Leaving Lake Bled, our next stop was the Planica Nordic Center where we were able to watch skiers practicing their jumps. The World Ski Flying championships will be held here next year.
    Then began our journey over the mountains via the Vršič Pass. This was the "OMG! We're going to die!" part of the day, at least for Myj, who is not fond of roads with steep drop-offs. The pass is the highest in the Julian Alps and includes 50 hairpin turns. The road is quite narrow in spots, so encountering cars along the way was hair-raising. In fact, we came upon a car pulling a travel trailer (what were they thinking?) and they actually had to back up to let us by. There were also crazy people on bicycles and motorcycles!The pass has a somber history, as it was built by soldiers and POWs during World War I, many of whom died in the harsh winter conditions.
    Having survived the pass, we continued along the Sava River to our hotel in Bovec, set in a beautiful alpine valley. Our group walked through the little village to a dinner of local trout and venison. There are many shops and outfitters for every outdoor sport : rafting, kayaking, hiking, skiing, climbing and more.
    Read more