Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Doviđenja!

    June 18, 2019 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    Our trip is almost at an end. We left Dubrovnik this morning on Croatian airlines and are now waiting at the Frankfurt airport for our flight home. This has been an amazing journey. One guidebook refers to Slovenia as "Europe in miniature " because of the German, Austrian, Hungarian and Italian influences and geography of Alps, plains and seacoast. We experienced an amphitheater and an emperor's palace built by the Romans, early Turkish tombstones, castles of Germanic kings, medieval cities built by the Venetians, Austrian cathedrals and villas, roads and bunkers from World Wars I and II, towns destroyed by more recent wars, and religious sites of several religions. Mark Twain said "Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer" and these experiences have definitely made us richer in unforgettable memories.
    For Myj, seeing and learning more about her ancestral homeland, and renewing connections with some of her relatives was priceless. More than just being "along for the ride" Dennis fell in love with Ljubljana and Slovenia too.
    And of course, we met some fun and interesting new people. The quote we put on our profile is fitting: "A journey is best measured in friends, not miles." We are still fans of the Rick Steves travel mode. If you want luxury, it isn't for you, but if you want local experiences in the thick of things and a little learning along the way, go for it! The hotels are comfortable, close to the action, but are sometimes "quaint and quirky." You do need to travel light, as you may have to carry your bags a half mile down a narrow lane or up a hill to a castle where the bus can't go. The guides are amazing!
    We're ready to go home to beautiful Oregon and see our family, friends and pets. The PDX carpet will be a welcome sight! But...there are still a few places on the bucket list. Where next?? Hmmm, Myj did hear Dennis say "Maybe Ireland next year" and there were a whole table of tour friends as witnesses!
    Read more