Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 90

    On the road again

    June 8, 2019 in Russia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    He's back! After four weeks and five days of being apart, we're reunited with Hans. Thanks to Brent from Bikes abroad (our Australian agent) and Yuri and Svetlana from Links, LTD. (our Russian agent), the shipping of the car went as smoothly as can be, with only a minor delay of 4days (delays of a week or more are more than common. Ship schedules are a finicky thing.).
    Tom and I were anxiously waiting for Yuri's call this morning. Papers had been cleared yesterday, now it was just a question of when the container would be unloaded. Once Yuri called, everything went super fast. He picked us up and drove us to the terminal where the container was already on the ground. It was opened in our presence and there he was: Hans. The engine started on first try, he was driven out and after we had paid Yuri, he was ours once again.
    No more hostel searching and worrying about kitchen access, we've got our home back!
    A couple of hours later (we needed to unpack our backpacks, rearrange a few things, shop groceries and fill up our tank), we are on the road. Jeez, it feels good!
    Tom quickly got used to driving on the right side again (even in a right-hand drive), but we still need to get a feeling for the road conditions. So many potholes! The landscape is quite similar to home (Germany in this case), the sun is shining and just before dark (daylight is till about 9pm) we find a beautiful spot next to a lake about 15min from the highway.
    Brotzeit (cheese, bread, mustard, vegan dip, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers) for dinner makes this a perfect day.
    Read more