Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 230

    Vintage fest at Château Iveri

    October 26, 2019 in Georgia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Is there anything better than unexpectedly being invited to a grape harvest party at a boutique winery that is currently setting up a great hotel in addition to their already beautiful restaurant?
    Tom and I can't really believe what just happened. We we're simply waiting for a light to turn green in Batumi's city traffic, when a well-dressed gentleman from the car next to us, asks us how we've been enjoying our visit to Georgia. He quickly establishes that he's a man with many hats: the dean of the local tourism faculty, the owner of a vineyard and one of the friendliest Georgian we've met so far. He and his son mention a vintage fest happening the next day, invite us to join and give us a business card to follow up with any questions.
    What a pleasant surprise! We don't have plans for the following day and it turns out that the vineyard is located in Adjara, an area we had wanted to visit for sure. There is no saying no to this opportunity (especially as they allow us to bring Bear along as well).
    Hence, Saturday we get up, dress a bit nicer than our usual travel wear, buy a bottle of cognac and some flowers (what do you take for such an occasion???) and make our way to Chateau Iveri.
    We have no clue what to expect and are eager to find out! A little detour later, we arrive. Dr. Beridze and his son Iveri welcome us and tell us to feel right at home straight away. Iveri gives us a quick tour, past the impressive open kitchen, ruled by his mother's firm (and very skilled as we're later to discover) hand, into the dining area that is beautifully decorated with Georgian cultural artefacts and in the end into the winery where 3-4000 tons of grapes a year are knowledgeably turned into wine. The weather is beautiful, more and more people arrive (all friends and family we learn) and then it starts: everyone is sent into the vineyard to harvest the grapes, accompanied by a traditional Georgian music band (to keep up the motivation, we're told). Oh what fun.
    The many hands master the task quickly and then it's time for lunch. A real Georgian "Supra" (feast) with a "tamada" (toastmaker), music, incredibly scrumptious food and plenty of Château Iveri's own wine, awaits us. The initial shyness at the table -certainly due to language difficulties- passes quickly. Good food, wine and great company can't be resisted and help to smooth over the edges. Tom and I are having a blast and can't believe how lucky we are. This is Georgian hospitality at its best. This is Georgia!
    After a few glasses of wine, mainly in honour of a new grandchild born to our table neighbours, I'm even brave enough to join the dancefloor. This party just couldn't have been any better.
    And just before I get too drunk, we pay our respect to the amazing hosts and make our way down to a nearby river campsite.
    If anyone travels to Georgia and happens to be close, make sure to visit Château Iveri, even if it's just for a glass of their delicious wine. You won't regret it!
    Read more