Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 115

    Victoria Falls to Livingstone

    January 8, 2020 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    We arrived into Victoria Falls slightly early, but the ever reliable Clifford was already waiting for us, so we could confidently navigate the throngs of taxi drivers who block the exit of the bus.

    Clifford dropped us at the border just as the sun started to rise, and we opt to walk across the bridge separating the two countries. The road just over from the Zimbabwean side of the border is flanked by trucks, the first of which was being invaded by a baboon just as we approach it. I lean around the truck to inform the driver “There’s a baboon in your truck”, to which he angrily shouts to his mate, who is sleeping soundly in the truck instead of keeping away baboons. The cheeky monkey is able to escape with an entire loaf of bread.

    As we cross the bridge, it seems to us that the water levels have risen even in the couple of weeks that we’ve been gone. On the Zambian side, the rivers that ran bare when we first crossed the border are now full of water. The spray from the falls rose up into the sky and fell like rain into the potholes, even so far as the Zimbabwean border post.

    Tired from the bus journey, the rest of our day was a lazy, uneventful one, though we did have a tasty tea of Sadza (what they call Ugali in this part of the world), beans and greens.
    Read more