Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 102

    Boxing Day Boma

    December 26, 2019 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ☁️ 36 °C

    Back to Victoria Falls. But not before a slightly hectic border crossing back into Zimbabwe, where we need to buy another KAZA Univisa.

    Today we’re saying goodbye to our tour group friends, who are either heading onto South Africa or back home.

    After saying our first round of goodbyes in the morning, we laze around the pool. In the evening, we head to the Boma, a for a night of food and music. The place is decked out like an African dream- there are large thatched roofs, there’s brightly coloured fabrics, dancers, drumming, animals revolving on massive spits, and plenty of other traditional foods, including the Mopani Worm, which is a worm about 3cm long and is quite gritty.

    We have our fortunes told by the fortune teller, who predicts that KT will never divorce, and will have twins. He tells Chris that he will make lots of money with a successful business venture. Chris asks him if Liverpool will win the league, but the question is met by a blank face- either he doesn’t understand the question, or his mystic powers don’t stretch so far.

    After dinner, we are all given a drum, and we follow simple instructions to create a raucous rhythm, which tranforms into a huge dance-off in the centre. It’s really great fun, and it’s impossible not to get swept up in it.
    Read more