Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 163

    Franschhoek via Betty’s Bay

    February 25, 2020 in South Africa ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    Today we're heading to Franschhoek, one of the famous South African wine valleys. We take the scenic route, around the eastern side of False Bay, and we do not regret it.

    First stop is Betty's Bay, where African Penguins congregate. There are hundreds of penguins all around the shore. Small walkways take you above the penguins, and it's adorable watching the little birds waddling around under us.

    We then drive around the bay, heading north on the R44. The road is like something out of a car advert- a grand, sweeping drive, hugging the mountains on one side, and dropping off into the ocean on the other. We can't resist stopping and taking pictures on almost every lay-by, and we both agree that it's perhaps the most scenic drive we've done. It's one of those moments that fills your heart with joy and provide the true rewards of adventure.

    Arriving into Franschhoek early afternoon, we check into our pleasant little guesthouse, which is complete with a rusting double-decker bus plonked in the garden. We head into town, passing famous vineyards which produce some of South Africa's best wines. Instead of wine, though, we head to a craft beer bar, figuring that we'll be drinking enough wine on our vineyard tour the next day.

    We get an early night, preparing for a heavy day tomorrow
    Read more