Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Lake Bunyonyi

    October 22, 2019 in Uganda ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    Today we're heading to Lake Bunyonyi, south of the Bwindi Forest, to relax lake-side for a couple of days. The drive through the Impenetrable Forest is intense- hairpin turns carve their way down the mountain side, where one false move could mean a huge plummet.

    It's not possible to reach our accommodation by road, so we park up at another hotel car park and catch a boat across. The hostel is wonderful- built from the top of the hill down the the lake-shore, which a cute wooden cabin built just on top of the water. This will be our home for the next few days.

    Right now, we're starving, so ask for some lunch. The hostel is owned by a Japanese hostel company, so they feature Asian food on the menu. Keen for a break from chapatti and beans, Katie opts for Pad Thai. Three hours later, our food shows up, and Katie is given a loose approximation of the famous Thai dish. It's spaghetti, tomato sauce, veggies and parmesan cheese, and Katie is thoroughly disappointed. We decide to order the local dishes from then on, which are delicious.

    We spend the time jumping off our deck into the Bilharzia free waters, lounging in the sun, and reading our books over cups of Ugandan coffee.

    One evening we climb the nearby hill with Bas and Vera to watch the sun set over the nearby range of Volcanoes. It's incredibly quiet and peaceful here, and we end up spending more time than we planned.
    Read more