Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Lions will be lions!

    February 22, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    They keep the lions in a separate part of the game reserve at Sibuya. Not only does it have an electric fence, but it has an electrified area on the ground.

    As we entered the lion section, Nick told us to speak quietly and move slowly. Quick movements might attract unwanted attention.

    “They’re cats, after all,” Nick warned. “And cats can be tempted to chase things that move quickly.”

    Just like house cats, lions sleep most of the day. They are hard to see in the tall grass, so none of us could really get a good photo.

    “Want to hear a scary story?” Nick asked.

    Of course we said ‘yes,’ so he told us about some poachers who came to a sorry end. They were after the game reserve’s rhinos, but ended up in the lion section by mistake.

    It was night, so the lions were in hunting mode. This time, however, instead of going after wildebeest or impala, they made a meal out of the trio of poachers.

    The next day when one of Nick’s coworkers drove up, he found the lions playing with human heads.

    Beyond that, all that was left of the poachers were their guns, and their shoes!
    Read more