Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Esposende - Caminha

    September 25, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Yesterday's busy Sunday traffic subsided, I found quiet paths along the shore. I was definitely not on the Camino. The 88km intention melted under the warm sun and before I knew it I found myself on the beach.

    Got the take out lunch from the Aldi and they had nuts labeled for Trader Joe's. The entire haul was under 10 euro and a wonderful seaside lunch ensued. I had to get myself motivated to make a reservation somewhere and then buck up and ride. But first another beach side nap, then a lazy 40 minutes ride. It's vacation time. Camino?

    Camino walkers trend to drop into their bunks upon arrival and stay there. I need to get out and see the town. I go to dinner in the wonderfully laid out square and the Canadian couple, Roger and Trudy, next to me engages in a cross table conversation. Nice folks, he's is just retired at 54, she loves her job. No kids and loving their lives.

    They leave and I delve into writing this diary. I hear a polite 'excuse me'. It's the young Czech lady who walked into the hostel right behind me and I wasn't to shy to ask if she has dinner plans. She sits down with me and we have a beer. Clara is a teacher already 2 years working away from home in various places. She is wondering if she should go home or keep traveling. It's a very nice conversation. Back in the hostel she has some goat cheese that needs to be eaten and she whips up a nice salad. Meeting someone new and having a conversation like this is what the Camino is all about. Camino!
    Read more