Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 83

    Scuba, done

    March 24, 2016 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    A matatu to the ferry, a passenger ferry trip, a matatu to Ukanda, a tuk tuk to South Coast Backpackers, and we're here! This place has a huge fence all around it's grounds, which is shared with theses huge villas, and it doesn't have signage in front of it other then a 2x2 sticker on the door... Let's just say hard to find! But there's a pool! No jellyfish mommy! Again, it's warmer then our showers, but refreshing nonetheless. There's a bar, a cook if we want food, the grounds are beautiful, and we get to camp for 600 a night. Not bad at all considering the beach is 5 minutes walk away! Organizing our dives for tomorrow was as easy as telling the reception girl to make the call. All day boat trip with a morning dive, booked. It's actually to a point further south that I really wanted to go to, but didn't have the time to get to. How perfect! Now lounging by the pool, eating a fruit salad we made from this morning's market trip, waiting for our homemade guacamole to "infuse" in coriander. Not a bad life. Not a bad way of finishing a pretty damn cool trip.

    We didn't sleep much at all. It's hot as hell, music played until 2 am, being squished together in our hammock, that we set up on the ground for more space, increased the heat... Jack ended up going to sleep in the pool side cabanas at 3 am. Still, the grounds of the place is beautiful, the pool is great, so we shall try again.

    The boat trip and scuba was fantastic! They picked us up for 7am, we drove the hour and a half to Wasini island. 14 people on this beautiful carved wooden boat. The staff was friendly and helpful. They served tea and crackers on board before the dive, fruit at our return. They docked at this deserted island with just this huge, beautiful restaurant along the waterfront that served us crab and a ridiculous amount of traditional foods complete with a song while serving it. The food was actually delicious despite the amount of things from the sea. White wine. Coke. Heaven.

    We did one dive and some snorkeling. We saw 4 big turtles, a leopard eel, some long nose things, a large grouper... The coral wasn't great but fish a plenty! I decided against doing more dives since we would be seeing the same thing and its not how I want to spend my last day on the beach!

    Beautiful day. More to come!
    Read more