Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Blackall - Douglas Ponds

    August 19, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Into Blackall this morning and the weather is still being kind. It is gradually warming up both during the day and the nights. We have long wanted to be out west in these open camps to see if we can really experience the stars in perfect weather. The only problem we have had so far is the moon. It is so bright it dims many of the stars. We live in hope.
    The morning was frustratingly spent on the phone to Dell PC Support to try to sort out my laptop issues. It has been randomly blue screening for a couple of months now, becoming unusable for days at a time and then seeming to rectify itself. Hopefully the hour and a half I spent on the phone with Sinesh (who insisted on calling me Mr Stephen) has sorted the problem.
    A quick walk around town and a visit to the Information Centre. I asked about the Woolscour and we were told the last tour of the day started at 1:00pm. It was 12:50. A quick drive about 4 kms out of town and we arrived just as the tour started. What an interesting place and it's a great credit to the locals who fought and worked so hard to preserve it. To see it in action makes it a lot clearer about how it all worked.
    We continued north and stopped at Douglas Ponds free camp. As Faye said it is a "bit creepy" because there was no-one else there. Nice new and clean toilet facilities available. A beautiful sunset topped the day off.
    Read more