Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Winton Australia

    August 24, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    What did I say about pleasant? The winds came back with a vengeance last night! It was one of those situations I'm sure every camper has been at some stage. Wind howling, awning still up and threatening to disappear in to the dam, and freezing cold. We managed to roll the awning up and get everything away eventually. A couple of rubber mats disappeared but were found floating on the dam's edge in the morning. So far so good. No damage done.
    Taking the short cut today from Muttaburra to Winton via Morella. 206km in total and 76km of dirt. When we enquired at the Muttaburra Library the librarian assured us it was in “great condition”. Her husband had driven it “just the other day” and it had all been graded. We can't complain too much, most of the dirt section was pretty good although we had about 10km that hadn't seen a grader in a while. Tyre pressures down to 25psi and all the vents sealed, we had no problems. We did come across the grader and compactor about half way and after that it was smooth sailing. Only damage inside the van was the smoke alarm fell off the ceiling.
    Camped up for the night at The Long Waterhole just outside Winton on the road to Bladensburg National Park, where we stayed last time we were here.
    Read more