Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Muttaburra

    August 23, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Next day we drove back into town to the local library/info centre to get opening times for the local museums. This is a great little town that cherishes their history and have done a terrific job preserving it. I have included photos of the A.A.Cassimatis Store Museum and the Muttaburra Hospital Museum. Both very worthwhile a visit. The hospital museum in particular is fantastic. It really shows what it was like in the early part of this century in the outback. Took way too many photos to show here.
    We visited the Muttaburrasaurus Interpretation Centre as well. This is very well done and an incredibly impressive building. The metal sculptures around town add even more interest.
    We had been told about another free camp area not far from town called the Broadwater so went down to have a look. Plenty of space down here but the water is not very accessible and it was all very dry, dusty and hotter than everywhere else. Another lesson learned about walking too close to the edge of outback rivers. Pictures tell the story. We also visited a couple of places steeped in the history of the Shearer's Strike of 1891. The Union Camp and the Union Hole are worth a look.
    Back to camp and Faye wanted to take up the camp mat as she felt there may be some showers around. We could see some in the distance. The mat and solar blanket were no sooner packed away than an almighty downpour came through with me still stuck outside. I got drenched trying to stop the camp furniture from blowing away. Thank goodness we had the other stuff packed away.
    Read more