Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Kata Tjuta - Curtin Springs

    September 6, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Still in Curtin Springs the next day. We were running ahead of schedule so decided to revisit Kata Tjuta (previously The Olgas). A bit apprehensive though as we recall the way the wind howls through the valleys there. They don't call one of the spots The Valley of the Winds for nothing and the wind had hounded us for the last few days. Another bright clear day so we headed off. The NT authorities have done a great job around these attractions in providing parking areas and viewing spots that are safe to stop at. About 10kms out from Kata Tjuta there was a viewing platform with a sweeping view of the whole area. It really is immense and covers a larger area than Uluru overall.
    First stop was The Valley of the Winds walk which can be done in stages. We headed off to the first lookout which was a walk of around 2.5km return. It was here that we were taken with the beautiful flowers that were all around. Driving down the highway you can't really see much of them but once on the tracks they are literally all around. The walk was a bit deceptive as it was approaching the rocks from the non-windy side. As soon as we hit the open valley we were almost blown away so the extended walk around the area was ruled out.
    We then headed over to the Walpa Gorge track and spent the next hour or so exploring that area. It was quite protected from the wind so was much more pleasant. It is all so civilised now compared to our last visit. There are now a number of small bridges over some of the gullies which makes it easier for us oldies to walk right to the end of the track. The rock here is quite different to Uluru in that it is a massive conglomerate of smaller rocks that are fused together with what was once molten lava. The individual rocks are really easy to discern in the huge boulders that have broken away. It is hard to imagine the enormous upheaval that must have occurred to create this place. Another tiring day as we headed back to Curtin Springs.
    Read more