Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    NT / SA Border

    September 7, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Time to leave Curtin Springs and head south. The Stuart Highway south is another piece of road we have never driven before. While the road is good the scenery is a bit sparse. We made good time to Erldunda and then south to the NT/SA Border Rest Stop. We were still ahead of when we had applied for our SA border pass so we stopped for the night. The official rest stop on the western side of the highway was bitumen surface with toilets and tables but the parking bays were way too close for our liking. On the eastern side of the highway was an unofficial open area where we decided to stop. Nothing special, just more red dirt.
    The next morning we awoke to a minor catastrophe with a leaking toilet. The problem seemed to be where the sprocket attached to the doodad and made the flappy thing not seal correctly. Sorry if the technical description is a bit much. Anyway, now seems to be fixed after much cleaning and drying. While we were doing this we were treated to what is apparently called a murmuration of budgies. There were thousands of them all swooping and screeching. It was quite some sight and one we won't forget for some time. We even had one little guy/girl who wanted to come along with us when we left (and bring a friend)+3.
    Sausages, jacket potatoes and vegies cooked on the fire for dinner tonight. Whoever decided that putting cheese in sausages should be forever banished from the kitchen. So nice that the wind has finally died down a little.
    Read more