Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Mt Field National Park

    November 8, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    From Austin's Ferry we headed west into the South West Wilderness National Park. The campsites in the Mt Field National Park have power and water but campfires are not allowed so a bit of a compromise.
    After setup we decided to explore the closest area to the campground. Leaving from the Visitor Centre we headed off on the Three Falls Walk. The first of these is Russell Falls, a short 25 minute stroll along a sealed walkway. Russell Falls is a most beautiful waterfall and reported as the most photographed falls in Tasmania. Easy to see why. The light was not good for decent photos but the falls were spectacular anyway.
    Continuing on through the rainforest we were taken by the beauty of the place. Tree ferns and mosses of every kind were everywhere. A lot of the smaller trees were covered with lichens and fungi and the huge swamp gums were just incredible.
    The second of the falls was Horseshoe Falls, named because of the split in the falls into the horseshoe shape. Certainly not as spectacular but lovely anyway.
    Along the path to the third falls was a side track through the Tall Trees area. These trees have been measured at up to 80m high and are hundreds of years old. Last of the falls was Lady Barron Falls. Another simply spectacular falls in the middle of thick rainforest. It is easy to see why this area is World Heritage listed. The circuit back to the campsite continues with something like 240 steps up out of the valley. We both agreed this is probably the best rainforest bushwalk we have ever done.
    Read more