Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Strathgordon - Gordon Dam

    November 9, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Leaving the van at Mt Field we headed into the Southern Wilderness. The road goes as far as the Gordon Dam and then just stops. Another "end of the road" in Tasmania. We stopped at Strathgordon which was built for the workers that built the Gordon Dam and the hydro electric scheme that it was it was part of. Gordon Dam is an amazing impressive structure that allows people to climb down the 195 steps to the top of the dam wall and walk across. An incredible experience. Lake Pedder and Lake Gordon are huge in the middle of the all the wildness.
    On the way back to Mt Field we took a slight detour to do the Creepy Crawly Nature Walk and lucky we did. We had been bumping into two young girls all day at the various locations and saw them again coming out from the walk. After we finished and were driving back to the main road we came across them with their car in ditch on the side of the gravel road. I had no way of pulling them out so we gave them a lift back to Mt Field where they called one of their Mums to come pick them up. We heard later that the car was written off. They were very lucky they weren't hurt in any way.
    Read more