Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Loop to Naarden

    June 19, 2018 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Nancy and I rode a nice 60k loop to the southeast of the city today. We wound our way through the polders to Naarden, an old fortress city. The city was on of three that we passed through that defended land north of Utrecht. Naarden is set up much like Hulst, the fortress city that we visited last year northeast of Gent. Ive included a map of the city and a photo of Nancy taking a photo of the fortifications.

    Naarden is also the final resting place of the great theologian, philosopher, founder of modern education and moldavian brethren member Ian Amos Comenius. He was one of the first thinkers to put forward the idea of universal education. He was also once recruited to be President of Harvard College. Spent a lot of his time working with Bacon on a compendium of then current knowledge.

    The route followed smaller canals most of the way. Had a chance to watch a lock in action and took a video which can be seen here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vhKCHpdB3UL6LK5Z9

    We also passed by several quite picturesque windmills and a drone harassing a nesting stork. I shot a video for my friend Alexander who sometimes writes letters to editors decrying their proliferation in neighborhoods and natural areas. It can be viewed here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/FppzugNEyLebUHru6

    Augie arrives tomorrow! Harrie and Birgitt drove him to the airport in his old car, which they will use for the summer. He has a 9 hour layover in Oslo with plans to go into the city for a few hours. We're excited. I've already bought a couple of Belgian beers to share for tomorrow evening.

    Nancy got in touch with our friend Nancy Russell's good friend who lives just north of us in the city. We'll be setting up a meet for coffee soon.
    Read more