Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    We Settle in and Augie Arrives

    June 23, 2018 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We made it to Quaker Meeting last Sunday. A quiet affair with eight in attendance. Most were Nederlanders, one was from Ohio via San Francisco. This was quite different from Meeting in Brussels where most in attendance were British. There was no fidgeting during Meeting here. Everyone sat perfectly still for the whole hour with the exception of both Nancy and I. The Meeting also publish an annual compendium of collected works in writing and the arts penned by the Meeting. Quite a creative bunch.

    Augie arrived on Wednesday evening. We wandered over to the central train station playing with our cameras and shooting photos the whole way. The sun finally set sometime after 10:30 so we sat down to wait for his train from Schiphol. We found one another and he accompanied us back to the house on Tuinstraat.

    I've been a bit under the weather so we've spent the last couple of days wandering around the neighborhoods hitting cafés, open air markets, and dining out. We also made it to an exhibit in the Niewkerk of the annual award for outstanding photojournalism. It was pretty hard hitting covering contemporary issues such as gun violence, war, and environmental degradation. On the walk back Nancy and I dropped into the Keren DeVreede gallery to take in something a bit more uplifting.
    Read more