Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    A Night in the Citadel

    September 29, 2017 in France ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Our short time in the Channel Islands has come to an end. It had certainly been an interesting experience and unlike any other place we had visited before. The strange mix of English and French culture was intriguing. Would we ever return to these islands ? Probably not, but who can say for certain.

    We boarded a large ferry at St Peter Port and first travelled back to Jersey, before continuing on our way to St Malo. By the time we arrived in St Malo the daylight was fading. Fortunately our hotel for the night was quite close to the ferry terminal. A group of us formed a walking peloton and dragged our luggage around the citadel wall to the first gate we could find. We then had to navigate the rough cobblestones, hoping that the wheels on our bags would not collapse.

    Although we had been to St Malo several times before, we had never stayed inside the city walls. That night marked the end of section four of our adventure. Tomorrow morning our group will begin to disperse on their own different individual travels. It will be somewhat difficult not having so many wonderful friends to share each day with.
    Read more