Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Coffee by the Inlet

    May 6, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    With Mother's Day now only three days away, everyone is starting to wonder whether it will be possible for families to meet together, or whether the strict lockdown will continue. Things seemed to be heading in the right direction for a relaxation in the restrictions, but a recent outbreak of cases at a Melbourne meat processing plant may have thrown the proverbial spanner in the works. We might have to wait just a little bit longfer to see our kids and grandchildren.

    Today was a relatively exciting day on a range of separate criteria. Firstly the sun was shining and it was modestly warm. Secondly, we had our weekly visit from the friendly garbage man and thirdly (and most important of all) we had the weekly delivery of groceries from Woolworths on line. How could we not feel elated on such a day ?

    We were still on something of a high from yesterday's ride, so chose to climb back on the bikes for another (albeit shorter) ride around Inverloch. It was a great opportunity to explore some paths and roads we had not ridden before. Even though we have had the Inverloch home for over 10 years, there is still much of the township and surroundings that we are not familiar with. This has been a good chance to fill in some of the blanks in our local knowledge.

    Mid way through our ride we detoured to the shops to buy a coffee and cake. We then took them to a picnic table neat the inlet to savour the warm sunshine and pretend that we were actually sitting in the RACV Country Club. It was not quite the same, but it was still a very pleasant way to spend a morning.

    We then took the long way home, meandering around the most circuitous route we could devise. The forecast for the next few days is not so promising, so we were glad that we could take the opportunity to spend some more time on two wheels.

    At this stage we will probably spend another two weeks down here, before thinking about returning to the Big Smoke. We hope that, by that time, the contagion will have abated enough for us to return without imperiling our lives. We might even be able to share a ride with a couple of our friends.
    Read more