Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 70

    Mothers' Day in the Pandemic

    May 10, 2020 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    Way back in PC (pre COVID) days, Mother's Day used to be a time of family celebrations, of shared meals, hugs and kisses. In 2020 those simple things are now just a memory. This has been replaced with a technology battle to get everyone on line at the same time. Even when you have achieved the holy grail of getting a simultaneous, multi way link up, then begins the familiar dialogues.

    "I can see you, but I can't hear you".

    "Now you have gone blank"

    "Where has (name removed) gone ?

    "Your camera is facing the wrong way"

    "Stop all talking at once"

    "Stop moving the camera, it's making me feel seasick"

    And so it goes on. It is really not the same as a good shared meal and lots of kisses and hugs. Such is life in the pandemic age.

    After about 30 minutes of shared Skype time with the family, Maggie and I were exhausted. We needed a rest, so that's what we did. Much earlier in the morning I had driven to the township to buy some take away breakfast. The businesses that were open were doing a thriving trade, with queues right out the door and up the street. Even though it was only 8.30 am,, by the time I was served many items had already been sold out. I think the lesson to be learnt is that the businesses that adapt to the new trading normal, have the potential to do very well for themselves. Those that simply give up, will be left by the wayside.

    Later in the day we enjoyed a very long walk along the oceanfront. We were keen to see the changes that had taken place over the past couple of days. While it was true that the sand had certainly been shifted around dramatically, the damage was not as great as we had first feared.

    There is still a wide expanse of sandy waterfront, but it now has a lot more trapped expanses of water scattered about. This does make it a little more challenging walking the full length of the beach, as you are never sure whether your way will be blocked or not.

    Our day finished by watching Legomasters on TV. How refreshing it is to finally see a show which makes stars of ordinary people and nerds. I am not even sure if any of them would have a single Instagram follower. But the show is great fun for kids of all ages - including us.
    Read more