Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 78

    Back to Toora

    May 18, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    A couple of weeks ago Maggie and I rode the Great Southern Rail Trail from Fish Creek to Toora and back again. We enjoyed it so much that we could not wait to repeat the ride. When Dan Andrews announced that we could start to participate in small group outdoor activities again, it was just the opportunity we were looking for. All we had to do was wait for a suitable fine weather day.

    When the forecast was for perfect conditions for today, we contacted David and Carol and also Sue and Gordon to see if they would like to join us. They were obviously just as keen as we were to exercise our new freedom and so we all met at Fish Creek for the start of what was to be an amazing ride.

    Although it was the first time we had seen our good friends for many weeks. we resisted the urge to hug and kiss. Instead, we talked to them from a distance of about 3 metres away. We were soon on our way under a clear sky and without a breath of wind. It certainly felt fantastic to be able to share a ride in such perfect conditions.

    After a stop at the lookout at the top of the Hoddle Range, we continued on past Foster and onto Toora. That is where we made our way back to the Latte Dah cafe for lunch (take away of course). I sat down to enjoy my hamburger and chips, but I had barely started when disaster struck. When I picked up the hamburger, I did not take into account the fact that the rest of the tray would be unbalanced. In the blink of an eye the tray somersaulted off the seat and spread my entire serve of chips all over the ground. To say I was not happy would be an understatement. At least the hamburger was delicious. I suspect that the chips would have been also.

    After lunch, we rode back down the main street back to the bike trail. We then rode in the opposite direction, past the huge dairy factory and out to Toora Beach. Actually there is not much of a beach there as it is all surrounded by acres of mangrove swamps. In some ways it reminded me of Le Croisic in France, except there were no salt pans at Toora.

    The ride back was achieved without incident and we stopped for more coffees in Fish Creek. We feel it is our duty to support local coffee shops in this way. It was one of the best day rides we have ever done and we all rated it as the perfect ten.
    Read more