Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 215

    Covid 19 in the White House

    October 2, 2020 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    Just when you think this year couldn't get any more extraordinary, the twists keep coming. This afternoon we received the incredible news that President Trump and his wife have both contracted coronavirus. This announcement has sent shock waves around the world, the stock markets have dived and the US has launched its so called "Doomsday Planes", What else could possibly go wrong ?

    With the US President now potentially facing the prospect of being unable to perform his duties (not that he was capable of doing anything sensible when he was well), the constitutional experts have been rapidly examining the succession plans. Since Trump was proud of the fact that he seldom wore a mask, it is quite possible that he has already passed it on to the Vice President as well. Who then takes command ? God only knows. And what are the doomsday planes ? They are two airborne command posts that can control the US nuclear arsenal in the event of a surprise nuclear attack.

    These really are uncertain times, and 2020 just keeps taking us further and further down the rabbit hole. If anyone had written a book about the events that we have seen unfolding over the past 7 months, I doubt that anyone would have thought it even remotely possible.

    At least our situation in Victoria is stabilising a little. Today we had another 7 new cases, bringing our 14 day rolling average to just under 13. Since Dan Andrews is refusing to relax our restrictions any further until this number falls to 5 or less, it is looking like we will have a considerably longer time separated from our families and friends.

    Even closer to home, today marked Maggie's birthday. Normally we would have celebrated with a family dinner, but that was not possible today. We did manage to meet our eldest son and one of our grandchildren for lunch in the park, so that was some cause for celebration. The weather is really starting to warm up now, although the howling wind detracted from the pleasantness of the day. This wind has been a feature of the past couple of weeks and looks like it will be around for the next few days at least.

    So life in lockdown continues. Each morning we wait for the release of the latest figures. We try to use our time constructively by doing chores around the house, but everyone really is over this. There are clear signs that more and more people are just taking the law into the own hands and ignoring the laws. The premier keeps telling us of how many people have been fined each day, however I would really like to know how many of these fines ever actually get paid. I suspect that it would not be many.

    This is definitely not a year that anyone will be sorry to see draw to a close. Please let 2021 be better.
    Read more