Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    On the Bikes at Last

    September 7, 2013 in France ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    After two years of planning our French Revolutions Cycling Adventure is now really underway. Last night we all went out to the Restaurant L'Ardoise in Orleans and were treated to the most incredible French cuisine we have ever tasted.
    Those who had thought that we were in for three weeks of baguettes and cold meat are surely in need of a rethink. I could not believe the effort that the chef had put into each course, the food was as much a work of art as it was delicious. It certainly set the standard for the rest of the trip.

    This morning we all donned our cycling gear and lined up alongside the Loire River for the obligatory group photo. It certainly got the attention of those passing by and several cars tooted and waved to us. We all set out in high spirits along the wonderful new sealed bike path alongside the Loire. Soon we crossed to the left bank and meandered happily through delightful rural countrysides for quite a few km. The roads were flat, smooth and deserted - an amazing introduction to French cycling. With our 18 riders in matching yellow Ghostrider jerseys we joked that it looked like the Tour de France (except in slow motion).

    After the pace of the previous few days, it was wonderful to just let the bikes roll along at a leisurely pace while we savoured the scenery. It did not take long for everyone to break out into huge smiles. The weather had started cool but soon the sun broke through and raised the temperature to a very pleasant 21C. Today's ride was a modest one and we reached our destination of Beaugency soon after 1 pm.

    With its quaint narrow streets, its huge 1000-year-old church and Roman ruins, this town is stunningly beautiful. Our accommodation for the night is at the L'Ecu de Bretagne, a working ancient building that is also a hotel. These are the very sort of places that make this type of travel so unforgettable. Forget the "all of Europe in 16 days" type of trips where all you see is a blur of tourist traps and plastic hotels, this is the ONLY way to experience the essence of the real Europe at first hand. Those of our group who have never been to Europe before have already fallen head over heels in love with the place.

    If the rest of the ride is like today, we will have experienced a taste of heaven on earth. Tomorrow's ride will take us on to the town of Blois.
    Read more